You Have Planned Your Vacation, Now Plan For Your Home's Safety While Away
You've been planning this trip for some time and almost every detail has been considered...or has it? Have you thought about how to protect your home while you're out of town? What's going to make sure that everything you left is still there in you return?
Nothing could ruin a trip more than coming back to find out your home has been burglarized or worse. It makes sense to spend a little time before you leave on making sure your home is as safe and sound as it can be.
There are a host of devices to use across the Internet including camera door bells, video cameras, door locks, garage door openers, light and thermostat controls. You can monitor your home whenever you have an Internet connection. The question is whether you want the distraction from your trip.
Consider these low-tech suggestions along with your other normal efforts:
- Tell your neighbors you'll be out of town and to be aware of any unusual activity.
- Notify your alarm company
- Discontinue your postal delivery
- Use timers on interior lights to make it appear you're home as usual.
- Don't make it easy for burglars by leaving messages on voice mail or posting on social networks.
- Post on social networks after you've returned about your vacation.
- Remove the hidden spare keys and give it to a trusted neighbor or friend.
- Lock everything, double-check and set the alarm.
- Take pictures of your belongings in case you need them.
- Disconnect TVs and other equipment in case of unexpected power surges.
- Adjust your thermostat.
- Arrange for lawn care.
- Consider disconnecting the garage door opener.
- Put irreplaceable valuables in a safety deposit box.
It's nice to go out of town on a well-deserved trip and it's always nice to get back home...especially when it is just the way you left it.
Lexington Ky is always #1 in my book! Whether you want to buy a downtown condo, a custom walkout ranch on a golf course, or a horse farm in the country, I can help find the perfect home for you – as well as help you sell your home. In addition to Lexington Real Estate, I specialize in the nearby towns of Paris, Midway, Georgetown, Winchester, Nicholasville and Versailles.