Quick Staging Tips for Your Kitchen and Bathrooms
Quick Staging Tips for the Kitchen and Bathrooms
When your home is on the resale market; you need to create space for the buyers. Reducing clutter and the overall number of items will allow the buyer to mentally picture themselves living in your home.
For the Kitchen:
- Usually the most important room in the house so show this off like no tomorrow. Decide what you can live without and clean off the countertops leaving only a very few items that you use on a daily basis.
- Place small appliances in storage or underneath in the cabinets. Too many homes have all these appliances and the kitchens seem cluttered.
- Clean the stove tip and oven. If the old burner pans are stained, replace them. Filters, hoods and fans should be all in working condition and cleaned. If not, replace.
- Clean off the refrigerator. Remove all magnets, a child’s artwork and pictures. If you have to leave something up, place it on the side of the fridge.
- Countertops – replace or repair any chips, nicks or broken parts in the Formica. May just be cheaper and generate a bigger return if you replace the countertop with granite, quartz or high definition laminate if you are on a budget.
- Make sure there are no dishes in the kitchen sink.
- Make sure the kitchen faucet works without dripping
- Remove all scatter rugs. They make the room look small.
- Move pet dishes so they don’t interfere with buyers walking around the room.
For the Bathrooms:
- Clear off counters. No more than 4 items on the counter and put those on a tray or in a decorative basket. Everything else goes in cabinets or drawers.
- Replace hand soap with a decorative bottle soap.
- Remove dirty towels. If you do have towels hanging in the bathroom, no more than 2 and ensure they are folded neatly and the same color.
- Clear all items out of the tub.
- Always replace old shower curtain and keep it open.
- Remove cloth toilet lid covers. Keep lids down for showings.
- Eliminate scatter rugs and just have 1 large rug.
- Hide cleaning supplies and garbage under the sink.
- Get rid of mold and stains and if there is cracking or peeling above the shower top or tile where it meets the dry wall or ceiling, repair using caulking and paint.
If you have any questions, email me or give me a call at 859-509-8008 and we can discuss how you can generate top dollar when selling in the Lexington KY area.
About the Author: Kim Soper is a lifelong Lexington KY resident and Co-Founder of Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Cypress. She has over 16 years experience selling real estate all over Lexington KY and the Central KY areas. Kim is the manager/Realtor of ExploreLexingtonKY.com - Home to Your Best Source for Lexington KY Real Estate!