There is so much to do this weekend as Lexington will be the hub of entertainment, music and tons of fun. I have lived here in Lexington my entire life and I cannot recall a single weekend that will be larger than this one embarking on us. So many things to do, see and experience and it sure is presenting challenges as to what events to do. I know I have to pick my events because everything is happening. But how exciting to know my City is Hoppin’! Here are the Top events and social happenings in Lexington this weekend. In no particular order, let’s go:
1. World Equestrian Games - the games wrap up this weekend and there is sure to be more excitement on the horizon. This is the first time ever the world games have been held in the U.S. Get out to the Kentucky Horse Park and make history!
2. Historic Keeneland Race Track Opens for Fall Meet - Lexington’s thoroughbred race track has two meets per year - the Spring and Fall - in addition to several horse sales, attracting high profile celebrities and international royalty seeking to invest in Kentucky’s famed horse racing tradition. During the Spring and Fall Meets, spectators enjoy festive "Sunday Best" attire, gathering to socialize and enjoy the spirit of the races. Don’t forget to arrive early to witness the horses´ morning workouts, enjoy a Keeneland breakfast worthy of a champion, or to tailgate with family and friends under a canopy of lush maple and oak trees. Keeneland is not just locally famous - Hollywood has recently featured the historically-rich race track! Almost all of the scenes in the movie Seabiscuit were shot on location, with many Lexingtonians serving as extras in the film! And special to Saturday’s meet - the very first Arabian horse race at Keeneland takes place!
3. University of Kentucky football game against the Auburn Tigers - Kentucky is a HUGE sports-minded state - so much so that it truly is a way of life! The onset of fall brings excitement and energy throughout the Bluegrass state, as die-hard Kentucky fans gear up for another intense season of UK Athletics. The Kentucky football program enjoys hundreds of thousands of true-blue fans. Kentucky is a member of the Southeastern Conference, considered to be the most intensive football conference in collegiate athletics. Students, alumni, families, and friends have tailgating down to a science! Beer cheese, fried chicken, barbeque, and an array of Southern-style favorites are found at nearly every tailgating stop outside the stadium.
4. The world opening of the Secretariat movie. Hollywood’s Diane Lane stars in this feel good movie on Kentucky’s own Secretariat. And what a horse Secretariat was! Aside from his Triple Crown win, he set numerous track world records that still stand over 30 years later. Secretariat is the only Kentucky Derby winner to have ever finished the race in less than two minutes. The two-time Horse of the Year, won nearly $1.5 million during his time. Even today, Secretariat is regarded as a true legend that will always be known as the greatest horse of the century.
5. Tons of Concerts - Tonight and all through the weekend in Lexington. Featured acts include: Nickleback, BuckCherry and Charlie Daniels. For the full schedule of concerts visit: Spotlight Lexington's official site for complete event details.
6. Opening of Kelly Corn Maze - The most famous corn maze around, known for its innovative design is now open. This year’s design honors the World Equestrian Games. Designs of the past have included Kentuckian’s Abraham Lincoln and Henry Clay. Go and enjoy the giant maze, hay rides, pumpkin patch, hay rides, funnel cakes, warm apple cider and many more goodies.
(Picture courtesy of Kelley Corn Maze)
To top it all off, daytime highs in the low 80’s. So get out and enjoy what fall is all about in beautiful Lexington, KY!
Lexington KY is always #1 in my book! Whether you want to buy a downtown condo, a custom walkout ranch on a golf course, or a horse farm in the country, I can help find the perfect home for you – as well as help you sell your home. In addition to Lexington Real Estate, I specialize in the nearby towns of Paris, Midway, Georgetown, and Versailles.