Brrr! Winter has officially hit here in the Lexington Kentucky real estate market. You definitely can feel those colder temps the minute you walk out your front door. But before it gets bone chilling cold here in Lexington, spend a few minutes walking around your house to troubleshot and winterize your home to prevent future cold weather related issues. Here are 6 ways from Kim Soper, your Lexington KY Realtor on how to winterize your home:
1. Remove all garden hoses and water equipment from all of the outside faucets to help prevent frozen spickets, pipes and possible water damage to your home.
2. Have your furnace checked and serviced prior to heavy use. It is extremely important to change or clean your filters every 3 months to receive maximum performance from your heating system. If you live in a new construction area where homes are still under construction, it is recommended you change your filter every month.
3. Close up crawl space vents during the winter. This cuts down on drafts and helps keep pipes from freezing.
4. Check attic insulation for settling or movement.
5. Adjust all door thresholds to prevent air leakage.
6. If you are away from home during extended periods of time, it is recommended to keep your thermostat set at 68-70 degrees. Turn off your main water values and check your sump pump to assure it is working correctly.
Remember we’re in Lexington, KY and the famous joke about Kentucky weather is if you don’t like it, it will change in 5 minutes. That is so true! So just remember when you finally think those cold temps are behind us, they can sneak right back up. Always strive to maintain your beautiful Lexington, KY home year around and you will be A-ok!
Contact me today to receive more winterization tips or to receive your free hot sheet for HOT new listings on the Lexington, KY real estate market. If you are looking in Versailles, KY, Paris, KY, Georgetown KY and Nicholasville, KY, I’ve got you covered too! Don’t miss out….the market is already hot this first week of January!
Lexington KY is always #1 in my book! Whether you want to buy a downtown condo, a custom walkout ranch on a golf course, or a horse farm in the country, I can help find the perfect home for you – as well as help you sell your home. In addition to Lexington Real Estate, I specialize in the nearby towns of Paris, Midway, Georgetown, and Versailles.